Parsippany Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Morris County, Sussex County, and Essex County, NJ
With little between a rider and the road, motorcycle riders have an increased risk of sustaining injuries in the event of a motorcycle accident. It is a risk taken for the thrill of the ride, and while the common assumption is that motorcycle riders are at fault during these incidents, the opposite is actually true.
With firsthand riding experience, attorneys at the law offices of Hoyt & Hoyt, P.C. understand that the passion for riding is hard to resist. Knowing the proper steps to take in order to remain safe while on a motorcycle can help keep riders safe, but these experienced Northern New Jersey lawyers know accidents still happen. When serious motorcycle accidents do occur, more often than not there are injuries sustained and it is essential to have legal help on your side in order to collect the compensation you need to recover. Hoyt & Hoyt, P.C. have represented Harley Davidson Motor Co., Honda Motorcycles, Kawasaki Motorcycles, and even Rider Insurance Co., the leading motorcycle insurer. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Morristown, Parsippany, Dover, Denville, or anywhere else in Morris County, NJ, contact Hoyt & Hoyt, P.C. to schedule a free initial consultation today.
Experienced Attorneys Help with Most Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Distracted drivers of cars and trucks are a huge threat on the road when it comes to motorcycle riders. With cell phones, GPS devices, the radio, and other passengers as just a few possible distractions, it becomes easy for motor vehicle drivers to disregard motorcycle riders on the road.
Making it even worse for motorcycle riders is the fact that automobiles and trucks have blind spots that motorcycles easily fall into when on the road. And of course, the simple fact that there is nothing between a rider and the asphalt means that injuries are much more common in the event of an accident. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in New Jersey include:
- Head-On Collisions – These types of accidents account for 78% of motorcycle accidents, while a vehicle rear-ending a motorcycle happens only about 5% of the time. Accidents between other vehicles and motorcycles on the road account for 56% of motorcycle-related deaths, making head-on collisions extremely dangerous for riders.
- Lane Splitting – This usually occurs during a traffic jam when motorcycle riders travel between cars. Riders often attempt to lane split in an effort to keep their engines from overheating since many motorcycles on the road are air-cooled.
- Left-Hand Turns – These account for 42% of motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle. The driver of the car, truck, or other motor vehicle will hit the motorcycle rider as he or she tries to pass or go through the intersection.
- Fixed Objects and Road Hazards – Non-moving objects are dangerous for motorcycle riders, as are potholes, uneven lanes, treacherous road conditions, and objects that fall off of vehicles. Accidents with non-moving objects case 25% of motorcycle-related deaths.
- Type of Motorcycle – Statistics show that sport and supersport models are two of the more dangerous types of motorcycles, with sport riders having a death rate two times higher, and supersport riders having a death rate four times higher, than the average motorcycle rider.
Other common causes of motorcycle accidents and car accidents are alcohol and speeding. These two types of incidents account for almost 50% of motorcycle accidents and can result in severe injuries and/or death.
Why You Need an Attorney Following a Motorcycle Accident in Morristown, NJ
Determining who is at fault is just one step of many when it comes to a New Jersey motorcycle accident. There will most likely be injuries, which can mean medical expenses and physical therapy. There could also be damage to the motorcycle, which means an insurance claim. If your injuries are severe enough, it can keep you from returning to your daily routine or even work, which means even more losses to deal with.
The attorneys at Hoyt & Hoyt, P.C. do all it takes to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. They work with investigators, accident reconstruction specialists, and other experts to help build you the best case possible. Don’t let a negligent or distracted driver of a car take you out of the saddle of your iron horse. Contact Hoyt & Hoyt, P.C. today to schedule a free initial consultation.